Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Returning to the Horse, His Voice

I would like to share an idea that may be a rather difficult concept. The idea behind what I do with my horses, is giving them a voice, an opinion of their own, and a chance to be heard. I do this, to help build their trust in me, their faith that I am a friend, and that everything I do for them is in their best interest, and I do this by removing punishment of any kind.

This seems like a simple idea, to have respect for the horse, to love your friend! But when we really get into the matter, the real idea of the horses' voice, it becomes a bit more complicated and lot more difficult to understand and execute.
This is also where the idea that The Horse is Always Right comes into play.

Here is how I explain this concept:

My mare, Vita, has been handled in a traditional manner for 13 years, since birth. She came to me August 22, 2008. Since then, she is not scolded for the grouchy faces she makes, the threats with her hinds, or any behavior considered negative in the traditional world. She is not pressured in any way to act in a certain way.
She has a problem with her shoulder which also affects her diagonal stifle. Because of this, there are areas of her body that she does not like touched. There are certain ways she does not like to be touched, and certain days that she does not like to be touched, even certain seasons!
She indicates this in the language of Equus. She pins her ears, tosses her head, and stomps her feet and will usually walk away. If something REALLY bothers her, or I startle her with my touch, she will kick out, or snap her teeth.

During a chiropractic adjustment, I noticed Vita's severe agitation at being touched. At several points, she snapped her teeth down toward me while stood by her head. Never having had her bite me, I offered my arm. Sounds a bit crazy, I know. She never bit me. Every time, she would restrain herself. The restraint and frustration was so vivid in her expression. I have carried that with me for weeks after.

Not long ago, Vita was bitten by another horse, a playful gelding, but rather painfully, a clean slice. I checked it every day to make sure it was healing well. One day, I ran my hand along her shoulder below her withers, and suddenly she swung around and smacked my back with her open jaws! It was the first time she had made contact in a effort to bite! (thank heavens for winter and thick coats!) I jumped back and was startled, and she reacted by pulling back also, ready to be punished. I stroked her, and told her what a good girl she is, that I understand she is in pain, and does not want me to touch her in that place! Upon further investigation, she had a second bite, still swollen, that I had run my hand right over, firmly, without knowing. She was telling me, the only way she knew how, that she had been hurt.

Since this time, she has bitten me (again, thanks for nice thick winter jackets) only twice more, and each time with greater confidence. The last time, she snagged my sweatshirt, and when I did nothing, did not scold, did not react in any way other than to stop what I had been doing, I could feel her whole body sigh and say "thank you".

What is important to observe here, is that while I respect what Vita tells me, like when to stop, what hurts, etc, I also understand that her pain is chronic, and we have developed an understanding that sometimes things HAVE to be done....first aide must be administered, or that just want to understand the problem so I can address it in the best way I can. By keeping this in the forefront of my intent, I can let Vita have her voice, I can encourage her to use her voice loudly! She can give me her feedback, she can show me her language, and I understand it.

By letting the horse use his/her voice, we can offer our trustworthiness. By refraining from punishing the horse for expressing himself, we can show that we can be a friend. We can discover a new, different, and incredible relationship with the horse that is far more rewarding than our traditional means of controlling and insisting upon the horse.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very concerning thing to hear. You are clearly not understanding the mentality of horses which is very dangerous.
    I'm sure you understand the concept of personification of animals, that people tend to try to give animals human qualities in order to understand them better. The natural response is generally to assume that they are like humans in certain ways.
    As easily, when horses learn to work with humans rather than seeing them as predators, they "horseonify" them. They naturally assume that humans are a bit like horses and treat them as such.
    Following that concept, I present the idea that horses have a "pecking order" in their herds. There is a clear order of who dominates who. They do not understand the concept of equals. It does not exist in their language. They are constantly challenging each other to gain a higher position, and the stronger horses are constantly reminding their weaker counterparts that they are the boss, the clear visible way being lashing out with their teeth or hooves. Once a leader has established that he is the leader, it is clear that any aggressive action at all towards him by a weaker horse does not take place without serious consequences. Because the lead horse is strong and keeps the other horses in their places, they trust him and follow him wherever he leads. That is what makes sense to the horse. They do not think their leaders are big meanies, they respect them and trust them with their lives.
    Your horse if getting you right in your place in a lower position than she is. I can assure you that she does not see you as her equal. She has tested you and learned that she is the stronger one and expects you to comply with her demands. This is not a safe relationship between human and horse. As humans we are physically much smaller and weaker than horses. We can not very well stand up to their corrections and can be seriously, seriously injured. Also, when humans take the lower position, we do not have the authority to lead a horse in a sitation where his life is in danger and he is afraid. If he is afraid, he is going to do what he wants and is certainly not going to follow your generally safer and more logical approach to the situation. Since we are humans and not horses, we can not approach horses in a way that is exactly the same as another horse would. We are not physically or mentally capable. It is noble to commit to trying to be as natural to horses as possible, but what I am hearing is not that. It is somebody who has a gross misunderstanding of equine psychology and is putting themself in grave danger.
    By all means, be natural with your horse. You don't have to follow "traditional" methods of working with horses, but it is extremely unwise to continue as you have been doing things. Your horse should not be allowed to bite you without consequence. She does not think, "Thank you" or "Finally, someone understands", she thinks "Finally, someone I can easily dominate!" She should not have to stand quietly when she is getting hurt, but a lead horse would NEVER allow another horse to lash out at them for any reason whatsoever. You need to be thinking more like a lead horse and less like a bleeding heart human desperately trying to place human mentality on their horses. You are only hurting yourself and spreading dangerous ideas to others.
    But I suppose there is no point in my writing this out as it will probably just be deleted, disregarded, or read wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish to address the above comment rather than delete it.
    It is perfectly acceptable to me, if others agree with "Pony", or think that the ideas I present are a bit "out there". YOU HAVE FREEDOM OF CHOICE. ;-)

    The fact is, I am not promoting Natural Horsemanship in the sense that I am pretending to be the lead horse. (c'mon, horses are smart enough to know that we are NOT a horse)
    There is NOTHING natural about rope halters with painful knots, with running a horse around a round pen. It does work well of course, for people who want calm, quiet, "usable" mounts for pursuing their own pleasures. I think those who would read what I write and relish it, are interested in KNOWING their horse, in igniting their horses' interest, in encouraging a lively enjoyment of life in their horse.

    I am certainly guilty of "ventriloquism" when it comes to interpreting my horses responses, and often have to catch myself and begin thinking more like a horse.

    Interestingly, the mare I wrote about in this segment has not become dominant toward me. She does not take advantage of the freedoms she is given. She is kind, sociable, soft and curious. All things that have developed over the past three years, not diminished.

    Horses go through tremendous changes when given freedom of choice. A close friends' horse became very aggressive for a period of time, charging and biting. She gave him his space with concern not only to his changing emotions, but to her safety. When the time came for him to truly challenge her promise never to punish, he bit her. No punishment.
    They now have a strong and truly beautiful friendship that would never have been uncovered had she repressed his voice.

    I would remind anyone reading this and ANYTHING written or shown by trainers and other horse people, whether professional or amateur, must be approached with COMMON SENSE. Keep yourself safe. Sometimes that means removing yourself from a situation, or seeking help from someone more experienced. (I hate to use the word Professional, because many amateurs have better horse-sense than a lot of pros out there...)

    The horse is always right. They ALWAYS have a very good reason for their actions, even if we do not understand it, or agree with it.

    ReplyDelete